Updated: Oct 18, 2017
I can't tell you how excited I am to be a part of this Ornament Exchange Blog Hop with all these amazing artists. Please check out all of their fantastic ornaments.
This is my project that I have called Winter Peace. Our little reindeer seems very content and happy in this soft and delicate wintry setting. I hope you enjoy painting it!!
TO MAKE THIS ADORABLE ORNAMENT YOU WILL NEED
- Pocket Watch Ornament #31-L511 available from Cupboard Distributing. www.cdwood.com
- DecoArt Acrylic Paints: Asphaltum, Heritage Brick, Black Plum, Fawn, Mocha, Sable Brown, Winter Blue, Warm White, Light Buttermilk, Lamp Black.
- DecoArt: Chalky Finish Timeless. Metallic Lustre Gold Rush, Glamour Dust Sprinkle On Glitter, Snow-Tex, Matte Medium, Americana Matte Sealer/Finisher Spray
- Tim Holtz Christmas Words #THMS066
- Brushes that I used; but please feel free to use what you have on hand: Dynasty Black-Golds
3/4" Angular Shader Series 206A, 3/8" Angular Shader Series 206A, 20/0 Liner #206MSC, Mop Brushes 200 series.
- Additional Supplies I used: Mini Sachet Rose Embellishments by Recollections, Chipboard PEACE sign 3 1/2" both available at Michaels, Scrap lace for bow, 3 Styrofoam balls 3/8"
Palette Knife, Ball Stylus, Tacky Glue, Glue Gun, Burlap threads for bow (can also use thin jute).
Let's Paint the Background:
- Basecoat face of ornament Chalky Finish, Timeless. Stencil background using Tim Holtz stencil and Metallic Lustre, Gold Rush. Seal surface with DecoArt Matte Medium. This will stop the Metallic Lustre from "bleeding" through and will make floating and shading easier. Allow to dry.
Basecoat outer "ring" Mocha. Float a shade Heritage Brick around border of ring
Transfer on pattern. Shade around pattern Sable Brown.
Line snowflakes and dot background Warm White.
Painting the Reindeer:
Basecoat Fawn. Shade around head, ear and left side of neck Sable Brown. Drybrush to soften Light Buttermilk. Deepen shading Asphaltum. Basecoat nose and drybrush cheek Heritage Brick. Shade nose Black Plum. Line and dot eye Lamp Black. Dot pupil Warm White. Basecoat halter Winter Blue and dot Warm White. Line Antlers Asphaltum. Line hair and ear Warm White.
How to Paint PEACE sign:
- Basecoat Warm White. Float shade around outside of lettering Heritage Brick. Brush with Matte Medium. While still damp sprinkle of Glamour Dust. Shake off excess.
Styrofoam Berries: Basecoat Warm White. Lightly drybrush with Heritage Brick. Brush with Matte Medium and sprinkle with Glamour Dust. Shake off excess.
Let's Assemble this Pretty Piece:
.- Glue "ring" to face.
- Apply Snow-Tex to paper flowers and "ring" using a palette knife. Once dried, glue flowers to left side of "ring".
- Lightly spray several coats of Matte Sealer/Finisher and allow to dry.
- Make a bow out of burlap threads (or jute). Make a bow out of lace. Glue Burlap bow to top stem, lace bow to burlap bow and styrofoam berries to lace. Glue Peace sign to Lace Burlap.
Ornament Exchange 2017
Day 1 – October 17th
Day 2 – October 18th
Day 3 – October 19th
DECOART GIVE AWAY
Comment to Win
DecoArt is providing the DecoArt product used in this project to one lucky winner To enter to be a part of this giveaway comment on this blog post. I will select the winner on November 3rd. Each artist in this blog hop will also be offering the DecoArt Give Away so check their amazing ornaments using the links below.
I hope you enjoy this blog hop and would love for you to share your creations with us on Facebook.